In English

‘Halloween’ arrived, the day of the feast of the witches. The children of the enchanted city who used to visit the magic community appeared euphoric and cheerful because that night the traditional ‘Witches’ Ball’ was going to take place in the City Hall. The youngsters brought masks and costumes that they had made, to show them off to the members of the community. John Atkins, Veronica, Julie, Sue, Tony Chivers and their elven friends, Roger Elliot, everyone came and went (in droves) in the house. Saturday’s festivities started in the sunny morning with the birds singing and the sun shining. I was still asleep, wrapped up in my sleeping bag on the living room floor when the house received the first invasion of festive children. I opened my eyes and the first person I saw was the cheerful Sue with her hand held out to me, offering me a daisy picked in one of the city’s gardens. “Good morning!” she greeted me. Penny brought me a cup of tea and a slice of bread with orange marmalade. I ate my frugal breakfast still tucked inside my sleeping bag, and only afterwards could I go to wash my face and brush my teeth, have a shit, etcetera.

In the bathroom, locked in, in front of the mirror I decided to take some LSD that day, hoping to have a revelation, an answer to my doubts of the past few days. I had kept – since London – a tiny ‘pink square’ of acid, to take when I felt it was the right time. I don’t take drugs so often as I used to. Only now and again, with months between one trip and another. The last few trips had been – all of them – bad trips, with paranoia and everything, and I’d entertained all kinds of horror and fearfulness.

But on that happy Saturday the vibrations seemed to be the best and I thought I wouldn’t be troubled by either ‘cricket’ or ‘mosquito’. I took advantage of a moment when all the youngsters were chatting amongst themselves about what they were doing, with tradition and all, for the Witches’ Ball, and so on. I took advantage of the opportunity and went out for one of my short solitary walks. I went to the Cathedral, greeted the ‘head’ who worked in the janitor’s office, and who was in charge of some of the hidden secrets in one of the rooms situated behind a high gate in the depths of the Cathedral. I looked around and admired the stained glass, the tombs, the sepulchres, the tomb of Saint Osmund, the inner chapels, Gothic, serene and the tranquil, things that I can’t describe here because there were so many details. I heard the sound of the organ, lost myself within the Cathedral and came out through the door that leads from the cloisters, which leads to the secret side of Salisbury, the part of the city that tourists don’t take notice of. I walked through the cloisters, inhaled and breathed the fresh air, I thanked God and the Sun for such a beautiful day, for the green of the grass, for the firm strength of the trees, for the birds, for all that I could be thankful for and that did me good. I walked under the blue sky. I passed through a hidden gateway and arrived on a path where there was no-one, only a sign saying “keep to the right”. Because of my doubts and curiosities I decided to keep to the left instead of the right, and I involved myself in following the path without knowing where I was going to end up. Just around a corner I caught sight of an orchard full of trees covered in fruit: apple trees laden with enormous ripened apples. There was no-one in the orchard and I went in, walking with care so as not to make any noise and not to be caught ‘in flagrante delicto’, since I had already transgressed the warning to keep to the right. The ground around the trees was covered with apples. These were apples so big that I’ve never seen anything like them; and I hadn’t – not yet – taken my LSD and so what I saw was no ‘optical illusion’, as they say. The apples on the ground were firm, very good, having fallen off ripe, I supposed, that same night. I gathered several firm apples from the ground and I filled my bag and the pockets of my olive-green jacket with them. And I continued following the path that, at a certain point, passed along the bank of the River Avon, until I got back to the point where I’d started, where there was that notice, “keep to the right”. My head let itself melt a little. Then I thought of a pile of daft things: Why was there that notice at the beginning (“keep to the right”) when both the left and the right were in fact the same thing, one way only, one path only, that would lead to the same orchard and the same apple tree from where I’d collected some apples from the ground? Who knows, I thought.

I walked a little more around the outskirts of the city, day-dreaming whilst soaking up the tranquility of those timeless residences located on the banks of the crystal waters of the Avon; I dreamed whilst watching the swans gliding along; I dreamed of the past of that place; I wandered through very simple little cemeteries; I dreamed whilst reading those names carved simply on the gravestones, without that heap of marble statues, clustered together, with mountains of Jesuses and other saints, ostentatiously repeated one by the side of another in Brazilian cemeteries that I knew, in the heat of almost forty degrees centigrade. Not in Salisbury. Everything was simple and poor and agreeable, even the cemeteries. It was then that I took the ‘pink square’ acid and kept walking through the little streets and gardens and finally, still alone, I came to Churchill Gardens, where I found my way to the riverbank, where I sat and waited for the effect of what I had swallowed.

The effect came on and I went mad, possessed by those thousand demons that I’ve already talked about. I wanted to go back to the house in Saint Anne Street but I lost my courage. I found that on the day of the witches my demons were coming out through my pores, through my mouth, through my eyes, through the tips of my fingers on my hands. And the acid was still only just beginning and the effect would last for hours on end. I stayed walking around the garden trying to be discreet, moving further and further away from the city and the children. The day was going by and I was more and more afraid of going back to the house. My surroundings were beautiful but also seemed too strange, too medieval, too eternal. And I was many thousands of miles away from my parents’ home, my land, my language. I lay down on the grass and begged the earth for help. I searched for some kind of support by going back (in thought) to the small town where my parents and brothers lived in Brazil. It was even worse. It was unbearable to see myself through my mother’s eyes. She was crying because of the state I was in. My brothers didn’t even recognise me. I was just no longer the same and I was even speaking another language, a language that my family couldn’t understand. At the same time as they felt pain for the state I was in I felt, from what I saw in their eyes, that my family was also accusing me of madness. My father said, “Didn’t I tell you, I didn’t warn you?!” and he went on, giving me a sermon into which came enormous grown-up phrases, such as, “He who plays with fire ends up getting burnt”, endless words from popular wisdom. And I really could no longer say which suffering was the greater: if it was their suffering for my pitiful broken state, or if it was my suffering because of the state – also pitiful – of all of them – I thought – for my unique and exclusive culpability. Not being able to bear seeing so much suffering I fled from my parents’ house and went out into the streets. I walked through the humble streets of the poor neighbourhood where my family lived, and the neighbours and the neighbours of the neighbours went inside their houses and locked their doors and windows. The children of my town teased me, threw stones at me, swore at me, hurt me and screamed words at me that my ears did not want to hear. And wherever I went I couldn’t even look back, nor to the sides, and neither could I lift my head and my eyes as I ran away because my slightest gesture was taken as a provocation and was enough, ‘as quick as a drop of water’, to put the entire town where I had been born and brought up to join together, its inhabitants, old neighbours and friends from my childhood, adolescence and first coming of age, and also summoned from my adulthood, everyone, they came together to grab hold of me, as if they were seizing a bull with horns, and taking me to the central square where a fire was already waiting for me and where I would be burned alive.

And then, to avoid my premature death, I walked with my head lowered, with my eyes fixed on my toes, pretending not to see or hear anything, until I reached the bus station, where I caught a bus that would go by the main road and take me to the centre of the great city of São Paulo. There I hid myself in the middle of the anonymous crowd, in the midst of those ‘lost at night’, in the midst of my fellow like-minded creatures for ‘like attracts like’. But even there I was received as a stranger, my face revealed more than did their vivid faces. People pretended not to see me, and when I experimented by laughing at those who I had believed to be ‘my kind’, even though I didn’t know them, they lowered their heads and went about their business. I went to find help from a few old friends who, like me, had fallen into the great lies of the world. But they didn’t want to see me or hear me either. “I am busy at the moment, I have a very serious matter to attend to,” my old friends said to me, politely asking permission to slam their doors in my face.

I woke up from my nightmare, there in Salisbury, with another day’s sun already fading behind the spire of the friendly Cathedral. I got up with my body and bones all aching and I went walking with difficulty through the empty garden. I fell into a deep hole and wasted a lot of time until, with great difficulty, I managed to get out from down in that pit. I caught sight of ‘Bruce’s favourite spot’ and I went there. I sat myself on the severed tree stump and cried. That severed tree symbolised lost innocence. The poem “I came with the key …” was still etched into the surface. I cried some more and saved some further tears for later. “Who knows …” I thought. The night was Saturday and the ‘Witches’ Ball’ had still not yet begun.

I left Churchill Gardens and walked along the path that leads to the house in Saint Anne Street. On the way, under a bridge, I met two pretty young ladies dressed for the ball. They smiled at me without the slightest fear of me. A gust of cold wind made dozens of yellow autumn leaves come to salute my journey. The show was beautiful and for a moment everything was forgotten. The wind, though cold, was a friend and refreshed my head a little.

I knocked on the door of the house and Bruce came to open it. He smiled when he saw that it was me. There was no-one in the house except for Bruce. Everyone had left for the ‘Witches’ Ball’. I excused myself to Bruce, saying that I was exhausted and I lay down on the sofa in the living room, near to the heater, shivering with cold. Bruce put the kettle on and went up into his room to bring me a blanket to cover me. He made me drink a cup of tea and then he left me to sleep. I was half asleep and half awake, almost dead, when there was a knock on the door. I pretended I was asleep and let Bruce see who it was. It was Martha (my dear), complaining about her life and suffering like no other. Bruce talked to her and Martha wanted to know who was sleeping. Bruce said it was me and kept saying nice things about me, to Martha. There was a moment when, full of pity for me, she said, “Poor child”. They talked enough and then Martha excused herself from Bruce, saying that she was going to lie down for a while in Don’s (empty) bedroom.

I awoke from my sleep, happy and changed, because of the touching words from Bruce and Martha. Bruce’s wise words had brought me right up. We went up to his room where we stayed talking and so I came to tell him that I was ‘tripping’. He wasn’t a bit surprised at my confession, nor with the story of my ‘bad trip’. I asked about Martha and he cut that conversation, saying that she was Don’s girlfriend.

It was comfortable to have Bruce there in the house so I could give vent to all my angst – I didn’t measure my words and I went on talking ‘with my elbows’, non-stop. Maybe a little possessed by what he had said to me the other day, “I learned more from you in one week than in all the rest of my life”, I said everything that came to my mind and couldn’t hold back the words that many horrible times came flowing out of my mouth. I talked about the kind of life I led, of the people that I knew, of scenes that I’d frequented, of what they talked about and what we got up to in those scenes, until I told him of a conversation I had overheard at a dinner in London, about an impoverished impresario who’d become rich at some time or another, thanks to a second-rate film, of which he was the backer, a film that no exhibitor wanted to buy until then, because the film was not commercial. The film became commercial thanks to the death of its star, a pop music idol, who had died some months before. I didn’t know why I was telling him that, I who had nothing to do with the story. Bruce was horrified by the story and covered his ears, the same reaction that I’d had myself when the same story was told at that dinner I had attended, in London.

I, in turn, was horrified when Bruce covered his ears, as if he no longer wanted to hear me. We stayed in silence for a while, there in his room, a mute silence that was so difficult for both of us. I left the room, the house, and went out into the streets. I turned wanderer during the night of the witches. And I didn’t have the slightest doubt that witches were indeed abroad that night.

I was trying to distract myself by looking in the window of a little shop called ‘Salisbury Tropicals’, which sold such exquisite things as used and out of fashion clothing, 78 RPM records of ​​rumbas and of Glenn Miller, books that had been read and re-read, and other bric-á-brac. I was trying to divert myself with this when Roger Elliot appeared and pointed out a book in the window whose title was ‘Hold my hand because I am dying’. I became terrified and looked straight at Roger who smiled and gave me a hug. Next he shoved his hand into his bag and brought out a little sweet from inside it. Without even looking I immediately put the sweet into my mouth. I felt some stabs in the roof of my mouth and took it out to have a look. It was a pointed sweet with black and white stripes just like on prison uniforms. Roger Elliot and the others were already off down the road and they gave me a fraternal wave. I walked a little more and I was just about to go back to the house when I met a common young guy, friendly and drunk. We went along together and I listened to him complain about the boring life that was led in Salisbury. He tried to say my name, always trying different ways but never managing to pronounce it right. By the end of the night he still hadn’t understood my name. His name was so much easier and simpler that I learned it straight away, though I don’t remember it now. I’m going to call him Nicky, here. Nicky wanted to know where I was staying
and I told him the address. “Ah, you’re living at the hippies’ house,” said Nicky. Early next morning, at dawn, he left me at the door of the house in Saint Anne Street. We arranged to meet for a beer the next day, in a pub called ‘The Queen’s Head’ (which was a name used by many pubs in English cities).

The house was full of people when I came back from my extended walk. And I was astonished that everyone happily called out my name on my arrival. Some of the visitors had brought a little hashish and they were mixing it with tobacco. Lots of tobacco and a pinch of hash. In spite of being exhausted, my head was in a thousand places. Roger Elliot treated me like it was me who was the biggest innocent in the house. He affectionately called me ‘Bull’s Eyes’. Tony Chivers, the elf, wanted to know why ‘Bull’s Eyes’ and Roger, a little shy, explained that it was because I came from the land of the bulls. Nobody rightly understood the explanation but I, for my part, adored the nickname. Suddenly heavy rain started falling and I, accompanied by Tony Chivers, Veronica and John Atkins, went out to soak ourselves a little. I found an enormous worm on the pavement and brought it back to the house to scare people. David Hayward pretended to be disgusted and exclaimed “Oh, Beaver!” to me. David was glad of the happiness that reigned in the house after the ‘Witches’ Ball’ and invented nicknames for everyone. The elves went out and came back in and sang happy and fantastic songs. When they were out, David asked “Where are the elves?” Then the elves came back, bringing bars of chocolate and other sweets. Penny made one pot of tea after another.

There were many new faces that as yet I didn’t know. One of them, John Malston [Palmer?], was the son of a baker from Amesbury, a small town about twenty minutes from Salisbury.  John Malston’s accent was very amusing, a Wiltshire accent like a peasant. John Malston kept up a monologue for several hours, making incredible and clever games with words, straining his peasant accent to the limit. Everyone died of laughter and many even rolled on the floor, laughing and holding their bellies with their hands, even though no-one really had a “belly”.  John Malston made up a story for everyone there, one by one, and when my turn came he made a speech about me, about Brazil and about South America. While he was speaking he was mixing everything up – intentionally – so as to maintain the humour. People died laughing. But John Malston’s face was always serious; that is, he himself was good, and never laughed once. He wrinkled his forehead and his eyebrows as he spoke. But his sad style of humour excited me secretly and sexually. He gave a veritable show and never got weary for an instant. It was the other people who were exhausted, one by one. He and David Hayward called me ‘Beaver’ and I went into a dance, acting as a beaver; at least, the way I imagined a beaver. There came a time when I could no longer take any more fatigue because of all the energy I’d used up on my ‘trip’. I stuffed myself into my sleeping bag and fell asleep with the lovely voice of John Malston wafting in through my ears and pleasantly tickling the inside of my head.

The following day, which was Sunday, I went with John Atkins, Veronica, Tony Chivers and other elves to the Cathedral. I didn’t know if I was avoiding Bruce or if Bruce was avoiding me, because of my madness the previous evening. I felt very uncomfortable every time we met anywhere in the house and exchanged a few difficult words of forced cordiality. I thought I must have hurt him a lot, though none of the other members of the community had changed in their behaviour towards me. It was as if what had passed between Bruce and I was ours, mine and Bruce’s. It was David Hayward who was a little worried about Bruce’s condition and my state. One moment when there was no-one in the living room I took my rucksack and my sleeping bag and I fled. It was just reaching night-time.

In the street, on my way to the train station, I was still to meet up with the cheerful Sue and she was sad  when I said I was going away. But I promised I would come back, one day. In another street I met John Malston, who was just coming out of a house somewhere when I passed by. He was serious and sad and wasn’t at all in a humorous mood and he wasn’t the same John Malston as the night before. His eyes were so human and good that I cried in front of him and he was embarrassed, not knowing what to do. I asked him to thank the people at the Saint Anne Street house for everything they had done for me, for their hospitality, their welcome, good treatment, etcetera. John Malston told me to come back to Salisbury and wrote down his address in Amesbury, and he even said that his house was at my disposal whenever I might want to appear. He gripped my right hand and my left shoulder, strongly.

I caught the train at the station and went to London where I arrived late that night. Since I no longer had the room in King’s Road I went to sleep at Gilberto Gil’s house in Notting Hill Gate, where besides Gil, Sandra and Pedrinho there were various other Brazilians.

Em Português

Chegou o dia do “Halloween”, o dia da festa das bruxas. As crianças da cidade encantada que costumavam visitar a comunidade mágica apareceram eufóricas e alegres porque naquela noite ia acontecer o tradicional “Baiže das Bruxas” num salão da cidade. As crianças traziam máscaras e fantasias que haviam criado pra exibi-las aos membros da comunidade. John Atkins, Veronica, Julie, Sue, Tony Chivers e seus amigos elfos, Roger Elliot, todos entravam e saiam (aos bandos) na casa. O sábado festivo começou na manhã ensolarada com os pássaros cantando e o solbrilhando. Eu ainda dormia enfiado dentro da minha ‘sleeping bag’ no chão da sala quando a casa recebeu a primeira invasão das crianças festivas. Abri os olhos e a primeira pessoa que vi foi a alegre Sue com a mão estendida pra mim, me ofertando uma margarida colhida num dos jardins da cidade. “Good morning!” ela me saudou. Penny me trouxe uma xícara (ou chícara?) de chá e uma fatia de pão com geléia de laranja. Tomei o meu frugal breakfast ainda enfiado dentro do meu saco de dormir e só depois é que eu fui lavar o rosto e escovar os dentes, fazer xixi, et cetera.

Dentro do banheiro, trancado, em frente ao espelho eu decidi que tomaria um ácido lisérgico naquele diag prá ter uma revelação, uma resposta às minhas dúvidas dos dias passados. Eu guardava desde Londres um ácido quadradinho e minúsculo, chamado ‘pink-square’, pra tomar quando eu achasse que fosse a hora. Eu não estava tomando drogas tão frequentemente quanto antes. Só lá uma vez ou outra, com espaços de meses, entre uma viagem e outra. As últimas viagens haviam sido födas péssimas viagens, com paranoia e tudo, tendo curtido umas e outras de horror e terror.

Mas naquele sábado alegre as vibrações pintavam como as melhores e eu achava que não ia ter nem grilo e nem mosquito. Aproveitei um momento em que todas as crianças tranzavam uma de estar na delas, com tradição e tudo, baile das bruxas, o que pintaria, et cetera, o papo era entre elas. Aproveitei o ensējo e saí prá dar uma daquelas minhas voltinhas solitárias. Entrei na Catedral, cumprimentei o head que trabalhava no oficio de zelador de algum dos segredos escondidos numa das salas que ficavam atrás dum portão alto, nos fundos da Catedral. Olhei e admirei os vitrais, os túmulos, as sepulturas, o túmulo de São Osmundo, as capelas interiores, o gótico, o sereno e o tranquilo, coisas que não dá pra descrever aqui por causa do excesso de detalhes, Ouvi o som do órgão, me perdi dentro da Catedral e saí pela porta que levava aos fundos, que dava para o lado secreto de Salisbury, lado da cidade que os turistas não sacavam. Andei pelo jardim dos fundos, aspirei e respirei o ar puro, agradeci a Deus e ao Sol pelo dia tão belo, pelo verde das gramas, pela solidês das árvores, pelos pássaros, por tudo que eu pude agradecer e que me fazia bem. E fui andando sob o céu azul. Passei por um portão circunspecto e cheguei num caminho onde não havia ninguém, apenas uma placa avisando “conserve a direita”. Por via das dúvidas e das curiosidades eu resolvi conservar a esquerda, em vez da direita, e me meti a seguir o caminho, sem saber onde é que eu ia parar. Logo numa curva eu avistei um pomar cheio de árvores carregadas de frutos, macieiras cheias de enormes maçãs avermelhadas. Não havia ninguém no pomar e eu fui entrando, caminhando com cuidado pra não fazer barulho e não ser pego em flagrante delito, já que havia transgredido o aviso de conservar a direita. O chão das árvores estavam forrados de maçã. Eram umas maçãs enormes como eu nunca tinha visto e eu não havia – nem sequer – ainda, tomado (ingerido) o ácido lisérgico e porisso o que eu via não era nenhuma ilusão de ótica, como eles dizem, as maçãs do chão estavam durinhas, ótimas, tendo caído de maduras, supunha eu, naquela mesma noite. Apanhei várias maçãs durinhas do chão e enchi a minha sacola e os bolsos do meu blusão verde-oliva. E continuei seguindo o caminho que, numa certa altura, passava pelas margens do Rio Avon, até que cheguei ao ponto de partida onde havia aquele aviso “conserve a direita”. Minha cuca se deixou fundir ligeiramente. Aí eu pensei num monte de coisas tolas: Porque é que havia aquele aviso no início (“conserve a direita”) se tanto o esquerdo quanto o direito na verdade eram uma coisa só,uma estrada só, um caminho só, que ia dar no mesmo pomar e na mesma macieira de cujo chão eu colhi algumas maçãs? Vai saber, pensava eu.

Andei um pouco mais pelos fundos da cidade, sonhei enquanto envolvido na tranquilidade daquelas residências eternas situadas às margens das águas de cristal do Rio Avon; sonhei enquanto assistia o deslizar dos cisnes; sonhei com o passado daquele lugar; passei pelos pequenos cemitérios cheios de simplicidade; sonhei enquanto lia aqueles nomes gravados na simplicidade daqueles túmulos, sem aquele amontoado de estátuas de mármore, aglomeradas umas as outras, com montes de Jesús e outros santos ostensivamente repetidos uns aos lados dos outros dos cemitérios brasileiros que eu conhecia sob o calor de quase quarenta graus. Ali em Salisbury não. Tudo era simples e pobre e agradável, mesmo tam cemitérios. Foi então que eu tomei o ácido pink-square e continuei andando pelas ruazinhas e pelos jardins e finalmente, ainda só, fui até o Churchill Gardens, onde me sentei à beira do rio prá aguardar o efeito daquilo que eu havia engolido.

Veio o efeito e eu enlouqueci, possuído daqueles mil demônios dos quais eu já falei. Queria voltar para a casa da Saint Ann Street mas cadê coragem. Achava que no dia das bruxas os meus demônios sairiam pelos meus poros, pela minha boca, pelos meus olhos, pelas pontas dos dedos das minhas mãos. E o ácido ainda estava apenas começando o seu efeito que duraria horas a fio. Fiquei andando ali pelo jardim tentando ser discreto, me afastando cada vez mais da cidade e das crianças. O dia foi passando e eu cada vez com mais medo de voltar à casa. A paisagem era bela mas me parecia estranha demais, medieval demais, eterna demais. E eu estava muitas, milhares de milhas longe da casa dos meus pais, da minha terra, da minha lingua. Deitei-me sõbre a grama e pedi socorro à terra. Busquei uma espécie de apoio voltando (em pensamento) à cidadezinha onde os meus pais e os meus irmãos viviam, no Brasil. Foi até pior. Me era insuportável olhar para os olhos da minha mãe. Ela estava chorando por causa do estado em que eu estava. Meus irmãos também não me reconheceram . Eu já não era mais o mesmo e até outra linguagem eu estava falando. Uma linguagem que a minha família não podia entender. Ao mesmo tempo em que eles sentiam pena do meu estado eu sentia, pelo que eu via nos olhos deles, que a minha família me acusava de louco. Meu pai dizia “Eu não disse, eu não avisei?!” e falava, me passava um sermão no qual entravam enormes frases feitas, no gênero de “quem brinca com fôgo acaba se queimando”, palavras vindas da eterna sabedoria popular. E eu já não sabia dizer qual sofrimento era maior: se o sofrimento deles pelo meu estalo lastimável, ou se o meu sofrimento por causa do estado também lastimável – deles, tudo pensava eu – por minha única e exclusiva culpa. Não suportando ver tanto sofrimento fugi da casa dos meus pais e sai pras ruas. Caminhava pelas ruas humildes do meu pobre bairro onde a minha família vivia, e os visinhos e os visinhos dos vizinhos entravam pra dentro das suas casas e trancavam portas e janelas. As crianças da minha cidade me provocavam, me atiravam pedras, me xingayam, me injuriavam e me gritavam palavras que os meus ouvidos não queriam ouvir. E por onde eu passava eu não podia nem olhar pra traz e nem pros lados e nem levantar a cabeça e os olhos enquanto fugia porque o meu menor gesto era tomado por provocação e bastava apenas uma “góta dágua” prá que toda a cidadezinha onde eu havia nascido e me criado se juntasse, seus habitantes, antigos vizinhos e amigos da minha infância, adolescência e primeira fase da idade também chamada de idade adulta, todos, se juntassem prá me pegar, como se péga um touro a unha, e me levasse até a praça central onde uma fogueira já estava me esperando e na qual eu seria queimado vivo.

E então, pra evitar a minha morte prematura, eu caminhava de cabeça baixa, com os olhos fixados nas pontas dos meus pés, fingindo que não via e nem ouvia nada, até a estação rodoviária, onde tomei um ônibus que pegaria a longa estrada e me levaria ao centro da grande cidade de São Paulo. La eu me esconderia no meio da multidão anônima, no meio dos perdidos da noite, no meio dos meus semelhantes já que “semelhante atrái semelhante”. Mas ainda lá eu fui recebido como um estranho, a minha cara revelava mais do que as vividas caras deles. As pessoas fingiam que não me viam e quando eu experimentava sorrir para aqueles aos quais eu julgava meus semelhantes”, ainda que desconhecidos, eles baixavam as suas cabeças e apressavam os seus passos. Fui pedir socorro à alguns antigos amigos, que como eu, haviam caído nas grandes mentiras do mundo. Mas nem eles quizeram ‘me ver e ouvir. “Agora estou ocupado, tenho um assunto muito sério pra resolver”, me diziam os velhos amigos, pedindo polidas licenças pra baterem com as suas portas na minha cara.

Despertei do meu pesadelo, ali em Salisbury, com o sol de mais um dia já sumindo atrás da tôrre da Catedral amiga. Levantei-me com o corpo e os ossos todos doendo e fui caminhando com dificuldade pelo jardim vazio. Caí num buraco profundo e levei muito tempo até que, com muita dificuldade, eu consegui sair de dentro daquele pôço. Avistei o “recanto favorito do Bruce” e fui até lá. Sentei-me no tronco da árvore serrada e chorei. Aquela árvore serrada simbolizava a inocência perdida. O poema “Eu vim com a chave…” ainda estava gravado na superfície. Chorei um pouco mais e guardei algumas lágrimas para mais tarde, “Who knows…” pensava eu. A noite era de sábado e o “baile das bruxas ainda não havia começado. Deixei o Churchill Gardens e fui andando pelo caminho que levava a casa da Saint Ann Street. No caminho, sobre a ponte, cruzei com dias lindas jovens vestidas para o baile. Elas me sorriram sem o menor receio de mim. Uma rajada de vento frio fez com que dezenas de fôlhas avermelhadas do Outono viessem brindar a minha passagem. O espetáculo era lindo e por um instante eu esqueci tudo. O vento, ainda que frio, era amigo e me refrescou um pouco a cuca.

Bati na porta da casa e Bruce veio abrir. Ele sorriu quando viu que era eu. Não havia ninguém na casa a não ser o Bruce. Todos haviam saído para o “baile das bruxas”. Pedi licença ao Bruce, dizendo que estava exausto e me deitei no sofá da sala, perto do aquecedor, tremendo de frio. Bruce botou água na chaleira e subiu até o seu quarto prá me trazer um cobertor com o qual ele me cobriu. Me fez tomar uma xícara de chá e me deixou dormir. Eu estava meio dormindo e meio acordado, quase morto, quando bateram a porta. Fingi que estava dormindo e deixei que o Bruce fosse ver quem era. Era Martha (my dear), reclamando da vida e sofrendo como nunca, Bruce conversou com ela e Martha quiz saber quem é que estava dormindo. Bruce disse que era eu e ficou contando coisas bonitas a meus respeito, prá Martha. Houve um momento em que cheia de piedade para comigo ela disse “Poor child.” Conversaram bastante até que Martha pediu licença ao Bruce, dizendo que ia ficar deitada um pouco no quarto do Don (ausente).

Despertei do meu sono, alegre e mudado, por causa das palavras enternecedoras do Bruce e da Martha. As palavras sábias do Bruce haviam me botado pra cima. Fomos para o seu quarto onde ficamos conversando e então eu contei a ele que eu estava “viajando”. Ele não ficou nem um pouco espantado com minha confissão e nem com a narrativa da minha “bad-trip”. Perguntei da Martha e êle cortou o papo dizendo que ela era a garota do Dono

Era confortável ter Bruce ali na casa pra eu poder me desabafar da minha angústia tôda e eu não medi palavras e fui falando pelos cotovelos. Talvez um pouco possuído por aquilo que êle havia me dito num outro dia “Aprendi com você em uma semana mas do que em tôda a minha vida”. Falei tudo o que me vinha à cabeça e não conseguia segurar as palavras muitas vezes horríveis que fluiam da minha boca. Falei do tipo de vida que eu levava, das pessoas que eu conhecia, dos meios que eu havia frequentado, do que conversavam e do que praticavam nêsses meios, até que eu contei uma conversa que tinha ouvido num jantar em Londres, a respeito de um empresário pobre que havia ficado rico duma hora prá outra, por causa de um filme de segunda classe, do qual êle era proprietário, filme esse que nenhum exibidor queria comprar, até então, porque o filme não era comercial. O filme ficou comercial a partir da morte do seu protagonista, um ídolo da música pop, que havia morrido há alguns meses atrás. Não sabia porque é que eu estava contando aquilo, eu que não tinha nada com a história.

Bruce ficou horrorizado com a história e tapou os ouvidos, mostrando a mesma reação que eu tive quando a mesma história foi contada naquele jantar ao qual compareci, em Londres. Eu, por minha vez, fiquei horrorizado quando o Bruce tapou os ouvidos, como se não quizesse mais me ouvir. Ficamos um tempo em silêncio, ali dentro do quarto, num mutismo insuportável pra nós dois. Deixei o quarto, a casa, e sai pelas ruas. E fiquei vagando dentro da noite das bruxas. E não tive nenhuma dúvida de que naquela noite as bruxas estavam sôltas.

Estava tentando me distrair olhando a vitrine de uma lojinha chamada “Tropical Salisbury”, que vendia coisas esquisitas tais como roupas usadas e fora de moda, discos 78 RPM de rumbas e do Glenn Miller, livros lidos e relidos e outras bugigangas. Tentava me distrair quando Roger Elliot surgiu e me apontou um livro na vitrine cujo título era “Segure a minha mão que estou morrendo”. Fiquei apavorado e olhei pro Roger que sorriu e me abraçou. Em seguida ele enfiou a mão na sua sacola e tirou uma balinha la de dentro. Nem olhei e fui logo enfiando a bala na boca. Senti umas espetadas no céu da bôca e fui ver a bala. Era uma bala ponteaguda e com listas prêtas e brancas igual as roupas dos prisioneiros. Roger Elliot e os outros já iam lá longe e de la eles me acenaram fraternalmente. Andei mais um pouco e já ia voltando pra casa quando encontrei um rapaz comum, simpático e bêbado. Caminhamos juntos e eu fiquei escutando-o reclamar da vida sem graça que se levava em Salisbury. Ale tentava me chamar pelo meu nome, sempre que tentava dar uns apartes mas nunca conseguiu pronunciar o meu nome direito. No final da noite ele ainda não havia aprendido o meu nome. O nome dele era tão mais fácil e mais simples que eu aprendi na hora ainda que dele eu não me lembre agora. Vou chamálo de Nicky, aqui. Nicky quiz saber onde é que eu estava morando e eu disse o endereço. “Ah, você está morando na casa dos hippies”, fez Nicky. Bem de madrugada ele me deixou na porta da casa da Saint Ann Street. Combinamos um encontro pra bebermos cerveja no dia seguinte, no pub chamado “A Cabêça da Rainha”, que era um nome usado em muitos pubs das cidades inglesas.

A casa estava cheia de gente quando eu voltei do meu passeio. E eu fiquei espantado quando todos exclamaram alegremente o meu nome por ocasião da minha reentrée. Algum dos visitantes havia trazido um pouco de haxixe e o pessoal misturava com tabaco. Muito tabaco pra uma pitada de haxixe. Apesar de esgotado, a minha cuca estava a mil. Roger Elliot me tratava como se é eu é que fosse o maior inocente da casa. Me chamava de “Bull’s Eyes”, carinhosamente. Tony Chivers, o elfo, quiz saber porque “Bull’s Eyes” e o Roger, meio tímido, explicou que era porque eu vinha da terra dos touros. Ninguém entendeu direito a explicação mas eu, da minha parte, adorei o apelido. De repente caiu uma chuva forte e eu mais Tony Chivers, Veronica e John Atkins saimos prá nos molhar um pouco. Encontrei uma enorme minhoca na calçada e trouxe-a pra dentro da casa pra assustar as pessoas. David Hayward fingiu nojo e exclamou “Oh, Beaver!” pra mim. David estava contente com a alegria que reinava na casa depois do “baile das bruxas e inventou um apelido pra cada um. Os elfos saiam e voltavam e cantavam alegres e fantásticas canções. Quando eles estavam fora, David perguntava “Onde estão os elfos?”. Aí os elfos entravam trazendo barras de chocolate e outros doces. Penny preparava um chá atrás do outro. Havia muitos novos personagens que eu ainda não conhecia. Um deles, John Malston, filho dum padeiro de Amesbury, uma cidadezinha que ficava uns vinte minutos de Salisbury. O sotaque do John Malston era muito engraçado, um sotaque de ‘peasant’ (camponês). John Malston monologava durante várias horas, fazendo incriveis e inteligentes jogos de palavras, forçando o sotaque camponês. Todos morriam de rir e muitos até rolavam pelo chão, rindo e segurando as barrigas com as mãos, ainda que ninguém tivesse “barriga”. John Malston inventava uma estória sobre um por um dos presentes e quando chegou a minha vez ele fez um discurso sobre mim, sôbre o Brasil e sobre a América do Sul. Enquanto ele falava ele ia confundindo tudo propositalmente pra não deixar cair o humor. As pessoas morriam de rir. Mas a cara do John Malston era sempre séria, isto é, ele mesmo que era bom, não ria nunca. Talava franzindo a testa e as sobrancelhas. Mas o seu jeito triste de fazer humor me excitava secreta e sexualmente. Deu um verdadeiro show e não se cansou nem um instante. As pessoas é que iam tombando exaustas, uma a uma. Êle e David Hayward me chamavam por Beaver (castôr) e eu entrava na dança agindo como um castôr, isto é, do jeito que eu imaginava um castôr. Chegou um momento em que eu não aguentava mais de tanto cansaço por causa de toda a energia que eu gastei na minha “viagem”. Enfiei-me dentro da minha sleeping bag e adormeci com a boa voz de John Malston entrando pelos meus ouvidos e fazendo gostosas cócegas dentro da minha cabeça.

No dia seguinte, era domingo, e eu fui acompanhar John Atkins, Veronica, Tony Chivers e outros elfos até a Catedral. Eu não sabia se era eu quem estava evitando Bruce ou se era o Bruce quem estava me evitando, por causa da minha loucura na véspera. Eu ficava arrazado tôda vez que a gente se cruzava em algum canto da casa e trocava algumas difíceis palavras de forçada cordialidade. Eu achava que o tinha magoado bastante ainda que nenhum dos outros membros da comunidade tivesse mudado de tratamento para comigo. Era como se o que houvesse passado entre Bruce e eu fosse coisa nossa, minha e do Bruce. David Hayward é quem se mostrava um pouco preocupado com o estado do Bruce e com o meu estado. Num momento em que não havia ninguém na sala eu peguei a minha mochila e a minha sleeping bag e fugi. Já era noite.

Na rua, à caminho da Estação do Trem, ainda cruzei com a alegre Sue e ela se mostrou triste quando eu disse que estava indo embora. Mas eu prometi à i ela que voltaria, um dia. Numa outra rua eu encontrei o John Malston, que ia saindo de uma casa qualquer quando eu passava, ele estava sério e triste e não estava fazendo humor e nem era aquele mesmo John Malston da noite passada. Os olhos dele eram tão humanos e bons que eu chorei na frente dele e ele ficou constrangido, sem saber o que fazer. Pedi que ele agradecesse ao pessoal da casa da Saint Ann Street por tudo o que êles fizeram por mim, pela hospedagem, acolhida, bons tratos, et cetera. John Malston disse pra eu voltar à Salisbury e me escreveu o endereço dele em Amesbury e disse ainda que a casa dele estava as minhas órdens prá quando eu quizesse aparecer. Apertou a minha mão direita e o meu ombro esquerdo, fortemente.

Tomei o trem na Estação e fui pra Londres onde cheguei tarde da noite. Como já não tinha mais o quarto da King’s Road, fui dormir na casa do Gilberto Gil, em Notting Hill Gate, onde além do Gil, da Sandra e do Pedrinho, haviam vários outros brasileiros.